Sharesourcing: The way forward for America
Global Outsourcing Trends
Companies with weak management often take short cuts in the face of adversity; they use outsourcing simply as a solution to improve their productivity and lackluster performance. Sadly, most American corporations today are not managed according to the Global Corporate Golden Rule. This Rule shows us that 'he' who has the gold makes the rules. America’s founding corporate principles, which were based on assembling and retaining a solid team, on valuing loyalty, generosity, quality of service, courage, innovation and resilience, are no longer being practiced. In the mean time, the American economy has been held hostage to these erosion of these behaviors. The US trade balance is upside down, technological development in many industries has been diminished, jobs have been lost, and employee skills languish because on-the-job training is non-existent.
I want to propose a solution to this scenario: We have to be globally competitive, with a vision for the future we can concretely execute on.
If America and American business cannot develop and support itself, it cannot support and develop other areas in the world who are both deeply in need of economic development and who represent clear opportunities for global commercial engagement. Put your oxygen mask on first - much of the world depends on the wealth and generosity of America to support them.
Outsourcing is not new; it has been utilized for years. When you go to a restaurant, instead of cooking at home, you are outsourcing and having someone else cook for you. When you take your clothes to a dry-cleaner, you are outsourcing that cleaning instead of doing it at home. You pay more, but you save time and gain quality, which is the whole point!
However, in my experience in corporate leadership, this new outsourcing trend is different. During the Cold War, most offshoring activity from the United States and England went to Ireland and Israel. After the end of the Cold War, more countries began opening their doors to international trade and the exchange of jobs and services.
How are they different?
- Traditional outsourcing
- Higher Cost
- Save time
- Quality greatly improved
- Modern outsourcing
- Lower Cost - does it really?
- Save time - does it really?
- Quality greatly reduced!
Outsourcing – How does it contribute to our prosperity?
Some articles suggest that, by outsourcing projects, the money flows to overseas, which will raise the income of certain group of employees offshore. They will have more income and hence will buy more items – homes, cars, books, arts, movies. This is great--but how will that help a software engineer in Texas?
Outsourcing – How does it help with education?
Some articles suggest that, by outsourcing projects, the money flows overseas, which will raise the income of some groups of employees offshore. These employees will have more income and will spend more time to educate themselves, their kids and their communities. OK, great--but how will that help a 16 year-old high school student in California, who is applying for a college while struggling to find out how he can pay for it?
Outsourcing – How does it help with innovation?
Some articles suggest that, by outsourcing projects, the money flows overseas, which will raise the income of some groups of employees offshore. They will have more income and will spend more time to educate, think and innovate. Fantastic--but how will that improve and develop my country, the United States?
Outsourcing may be a good short-term solution for some companies who are short-term thinkers, but the long-term future of a country's manufacturing, agriculture, and technological innovation is localization.
Our mission is to help build a solid foundation for those business who want to be globally literate and global leaders.
- When project management is done well, it will produce positive change that will help employees and the company
- A Project Manager must be globally, technically and politically savvy
- Global Project Management is a Science and an Art
- Science – Learning how to manage a project: define, plan, allocate, develop, control, monitor, release, maintain
- Art – Managing the team: your leadership and common sense
- A Project Manager should be able to manage diverse teams with different skills and cultures. He select right team and trains them continuously
- A Project Manager should be able to work along and with multiple project managers
- A Project Manager should be aware of the fact that project success will depend on communication and transparency
- A Project Manager should be working on his management, personal and networking skills set. It is always important to be educated and up-to-date on market trends but is also important to connect with your network. What you know and who you know are both important factors in managing effective projects
- A team under thriving leadership wants to do what needs to be done, not because they have to
- Global project managers are Leaders who pull, rather than push, people into process and projects, and communicate rather than command
- A Project Manager knows that there is no project closure unless the project is terminated. He will plan for all post-project challenges and issues and take proper action to handle each of them
- A Project Manager is well aware of all project management stages and knows the difference between Maintenance and closing Stages
- A Project Manager learns from the closing stage and transfers the lessons learned to next projects
To master a product release, a global project development manager must effectively:
- Build and Manage a Team:
- Build the Team
- attitude and loyalty
- knowledge, experience and skills
- potential to gain knowledge, experience and skills
- Manage the Team effectively
- Build the Team
- A manager’s biggest challenge is to find the right balance between giving ownership to team members and monitoring work output.
- Build and manage a project:
- execute, monitor, release and re-Innovate.
- Build the project
- innovate, define, plan, allocate and develop
- Build and manage a project:
- Become Globally Literate by becoming knowledgeable on global: